Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cankles and More

Just what you wanted to see, isn't it? My ugly feet! But I had to take a picture since I have NEVER seen my feet, ankles and legs like this. I have think I may have cankles. The swelling in my feet and legs has gotten significantly worse over this past week. I used to only really get swollen at night, but now it's all day. I called my doctor, and will see her on Thursday for my weekly appointment, but she doesn't seem concerned as my face and hands are not swelling. As for my left foot being more swollen than the right, she seems to think it's because of the position of the babies.

Speaking of the babies, I had my MFM appointment today for a growth scan. It was the first time I left there feeling worried about my girls. Baby A is quite a bit bigger than Baby B and the fluid around her has increased since my last visit. Baby A weighs a whopping 5 lbs. 4 oz. and Baby B weighs 4 lbs. 5 oz. Baby B is right about where she should be, but we couldn't get over how big Baby A is. When Dr. Fee came in to see us, she said that her first thought is gestational diabetes is the cause, and I will probably have this checked on Thursday with Dr. Wisebaker. However, it doesn't really make sense that GD would cause one baby to be big and not the other baby. Dr. Fee doesn't seem worried at this point, but she wants to recheck my fluids in 2 weeks. Sometimes high fluid levels can indicate birth defects, etc. So I walked out of there feeling scared and worried.

I know that I shouldn't be worried if my doctor isn't, but I guess it's just what I do. I am a worry wart and it's my maternal instinct kicking in. I want my baby to be ok. I don't want there to be a problem. I feel so helpless. I guess I am back to where I started before this pregnancy. I am back to waiting and praying.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I have cankles too :( I haaate water retention!!!!

Unknown said...

If your doctor isn't worried, I don't think you should either. I'll keep you in my prayers though but I'm sure all is well :)

My left ankle/foot is ALWAYS more swollen than my right side. Weird, huh?

Shelby said...

Oh I have those too AND my left is always bigger than my right! It's fun that I found your blog as we are exactly the same in our pregnancy's. I am also 30w6d with twins but mine are boy/girl! I thought mine were doing well on size but yours have mine beat! :) Good luck with your sweet baby. These MFM docs see all kinds of things so I would honestly think that if he had a reason to be worried he would tell you. Try to get some peace of mind. I know, I know, easier said than done!

Drink lots of water to try and help with the swelling and keep your feet up! :)

Love with a Latte said...

Praying for you and the girls!

Kim said...

I had cankles too but believe me they will go away within a few weeks of giving birth. I know it feels like they'll never be normal again but they will. My left side was more swollen too and it was because my son liked to burrow his head down into my hip/pelvis area on my left side.

Becky said...

Don't worry about your girls...or do your best not to worry about them. Give them over to God every minute of every day if you need to; trust me, this comes in handy when they are out of your womb and breathing on their own and you can't watch them 24/7!!! You will have to give them over to God so you can get a good night's sleep, and so forth. I know it's tough (I KNOW) but it's the best mothering method you can develop.
Praying for all of you!!!