Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bedtime Woes

I guess it was bound to happen.

I have always been so thrilled that my girls were good sleepers. I could lay them in their cribs and they would have no problems going to sleep. Morgan would usually get up at least once in the middle of the night, but it was nothing a quick trip to the rocking chair wouldn't take care of.

Now, I am in the middle of some serious bedtime drama.

We purchased twin beds for the girls a couple weeks ago because Taylor was crawling out of her crib every night and we knew it was going to be a matter of time before Morgan did too. I have always been a firm believer in keeping them in the crib as long as possible, but it just got to the point that we couldn't hold out any longer.

So, like I said, it's been a couple weeks since they started sleeping in the beds, and EVERY night, Taylor is getting out of bed. Several times a night. Sometimes, more than several. Like 10 times. And for the past few days, Morgan has been joining her sister in on the fun.

I don't know what to do.

I have tried:
                    **sticking to the same bedtime routine we had before when they were in cribs. Nothing has changed there.
                   **buying them a light up turtle from Cloud B that lights up and "puts" stars on their ceiling (like the Dreamlites).
                    **laying in Taylor's bed with her until she falls asleep. This usually works, but it can take forever, like it did last night. 2 hours!! And I don't want her to become reliant on me to be there to fall asleep.
                   **sitting outside the closed bedroom door, and listening for them to get out of bed. I immediately go in, without saying a word, and put them back in bed, and retreat back to sitting outside the bedroom door.

I am running out of ideas here!

1 comment:

AEOT said...

Have you tried a baby gate at the door so that they can't come out? They may end up sleeping on the floor a few nights, but eventually they will learn to stay in bed.