Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

I think it's common practice to ask those around you, "Where were you on 9/11?". I remember very vividly where I was. It was a Tuesday morning, and I was getting up as I had a class in a few hours. I remember my mom calling me, telling me to turn on the tv. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, I didn't really believe what I was seeing. I think I started to cry immediately. Even though I was having a hard time processing the images, my thoughts went straight to the people that were inside the towers. WHAT WERE THEY DOING? WERE THEY TRYING TO ESCAPE? WERE THEY ALREADY GONE? SOMEONE PLEASE, HELP THOSE PEOPLE.

I read an article today that said that family members were angry with then mayor Rudy Guiliani, stating that "the city was ill-prepared for the terrorist attacks under his leadership". I am not a grieving family member. I did not lose anyone in the 9/11 attacks. I don't know what it is like to wait for someone who isn't coming home. However, I don't think it's a fair comment. How can anyone have been 100% prepared for those attacks? Maybe I'm naive, but until 9/11 happened, I was never worried about terrorists attacking us here in the U.S. I wouldn't have ever thought it could happen here. I think the family members have every right to be angry, but I think they are angry at the wrong person (people).

Perhaps I am an idealist, but I would like to see the people of the United States united on the war on terror. I remember clearly what it was like the days following 9/11. I recall everyone being a little nicer to each other, people were banding together. It felt like we were ONE in our support of this country. What happened to that?

No comments: