Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Challenge





I am not an early riser. But then again, I'm not exactly a night owl either. Let's just say I love to have my 8 hours of sleep, if I can get it.

So I decided to challenge myself, courtesy of my summer Bible study on Proverbs 31, (who is that woman anyway? I don't know anyone like her!) and get up early before the girls woke up. I set my alarm for 6:00, and was hoping I would wake up expectantly, bounce out of bed, make some coffee and settle in for some quiet time. Ummm....

That didn't happen. What did happen went more like this: alarm went off, I hit the snooze button, closed my eyes again and was just drifting off again when the alarm went off for a 2nd time, sat up in bed, grabbed my Bible study materials off my nightstand, raced through my study, turned off the light and went back to sleep. I was a tired mess the rest of the day.

Not exactly how I imagined it going.

But instead of beating myself up about this, I've come to some conclusions.
  • the Proverbs 31 woman is something to aspire to, but it's ok if I'm not like her. God made me just the way I am, faults and all.
  • if it's not broke, don't fix it! I usually do my Bible study during the day when the girls nap, and it's been working for me. Just because other women find that getting up while it's still dark is beneficial to them, doesn't mean that it's right for me.
  • I tried doing this ONCE. That is not a good indication whether or not it's a complete failure. I will probably try it again.
Are you an early riser? What works for you?

No comments: